Monday, September 16, 2013

Life After RNY: The Eleventh Month



I'm hoping this come out well, but it's my first attempt at blogging from my Kindle Fire. Going mobile doesn't always go smoothly. One of these days, I've got to remember to give my laptop over to my brother to fix.

I'm quickly closing in on my first surgiversary. One year since my gastric bypass surgery. One year since my life changed forever. I can't begin to explain all the big and little victories I've had since then. This has been the best gift I have ever given myself.

As you can see from my nifty little photo collage, I'm a shadow of my former self. 170lbs are gone forever. That blows my mind some days. I've gone from a size 32 to a 16, and now those are starting to get loose as well. Last year, that was something I could only dream about. Today, it feels so...normal.
This Saturday, I'll be joining friends and family at the annual Walk From Obesity. Last year, I couldn't do it. Physically, there was just no way it was happening. Now though? I take Zumba classes, and am planning my first 5k. How crazy is that? Me. Exercising.
As joyful and amazing as this journey has been, it's not over yet. I still have about 60lbs to go. I also have gobs of loose skin to deal with. There's definitely plastic surgery in my future. That simultaneously terrifies and delights me. I'm not thrilled at the prospect of more surgeries, yet the idea of what my body will look like in the end is exciting.
The thing that most people don't know about me is how much I struggle with body image now. There are days I still see the 355lb me when I look in the mirror, and days I'm convinced that my old clothes should still fit just fine. I have moments where these final pounds seem incredibly daunting. Even though I'm no longer truly plus sized, I feel like an intruder when I step into the misses section of a department store. I keep waiting for an alarm to go off or something. And my biggest joke on myself lately is that I now own skinny jeans. Several pairs. Fat girl in skinny jeans! Ha!
Despite the ups and downs, I would never trade this experience for the world. I have my life back. I've never felt this healthy, or energetic. It's been amazing. I'm so looking forward to all the years given back to me by deciding to get my health straightened out. Life looks so good now, and so do I.

No comments: