Monday, December 10, 2012

Life After RNY: the 2nd month

MonkeyMan and I, taken in November '12. See how my legs are crossed? I couldn't do that 3 months ago.

The second month after my WLS was the dubbed the Month of NSVs in my house. In the WLS community, we talk about our scale-related goals and victories, but we also talk about our non-scale victories (NSV). When you're disappointed with the numbers on the scale, NSVs are a fabulous way to remind yourself just how far you've come.
As much as it can sometimes be embarrassing, I love talking about my personal NSVs. I say it's embarrassing because in a way, it's admitting to myself and my loved ones just how badly obesity was affecting me. I hid it well, but yeah, my body was a wreck. Looking at all that I can do now that I couldn't back in August really makes me appreciate the gift I gave myself by having gastric bypass surgery. Knowing that my list will only grow from here makes this journey all the more exciting!
My list of personal post-op NSVs, in no particular order:
  •  being able to cross my legs
  • sprinting to chase my 2 year old
  • bending and touching my toes
  • less pain, especially in my neck, hips, and back
  • fitting comfortably in most of my clothes
  • having certain clothing items practically falling off me
  • my glasses fit better
  • sleeping better (easier to roll over in the night)
  • the way Mr. P. looks at me
  • hugging my kids, and being able to wrap my arms all the way around them
  • walking better, and with less pain
  • no longer limping with an odd sway due to obesity
  • feeling full for the first time in my life
  • significantly better self-care and hygiene
  • more energy most days
  • feeling good about myself for the first time in quite awhile
  • no longer having nearly obsessive thoughts of food
  • my heel spur doesn't hurt as badly
  • improved marital relations
  • a sense of hope with a brighter future due to weight loss and improved health
  • can see my knees again (instead of vaguely round lumps of fat)
  • wedding rings fit nicely
I look at that list and am amazed at how far I've come in such a short time frame. Life feels so full of possibility now. For the first time, I have the drive to pursue my dreams. I've been given my life back, and what a wonderful gift that is!

No comments: