Sunday, December 9, 2012

Is there truly a "War on Christmas"?

This gem has been circulating around Facebook lately.
It's December, a lovely time of year to celebrate many things: the birth of Christ, the miracle of God's provision, the change of the seasons, the strength of one's culture and heritage, the hope of rebirth and renewal, amongst many others. I should also add that many of our country's non-believers enjoy a robust holiday season as well, full of joy and meaningful traditions. In America, roughly 76% of adults identify as Christian in faith. That statistic is why I have such a hard time with the media-hyped "war on Christmas".
I'm one of those kinda people who wants the religion out of my government, and the government out of my spirituality. In my ever so humble opinion, the 2 are like oil and water. They simply don't mix well. Politics aside, I must ask the question of why we as a nation allow the holiday season to be used as another tool to pit citizen against citizen? Why do we allow ourselves to become so inflamed over a simple greeting?
If you are a Christian, when someone wishes you a happy holiday, there's likely 2 reasons. Either they do not know what faith you hold dear in your heart, or they want to wish you joy and happiness. Likely it's both. I personally cannot fathom why that would be something to get riled up over. If someone wishes me a blessed Yule, a joyous Hanukkah, a merry Christmas, or pretty much whatever holiday or celebration you wish to insert, my response is always one that comes from the fullness of my heart. "Same to you, my friend!" It's never wrong or offensive to wish someone joy, happiness, and blessings in my book.
War is also such a loaded term. In all honesty, has anyone ever died from having a Nativity scene removed from a public park? Do we take prisoners for questioning about just where and how they came by their Christmas tree? War shouldn't be taken lightly. Lives are not at stake in the battle over holiday decorations and sentiments.
Be like the Grinch. Let your heart grow a little larger this holiday season. Spread a little love and joy. Remember that no matter how you are greeted this December, the intent is not one of hostility, but one of holiday gladness. May you all enjoy everything this season has to offer. Happy holidays!

No comments: