Monday, December 3, 2012

Homeward Bound

Found on Pinterest. This spoke to my heart.
My husband, kids, gerbils, and I live in a small Northeastern state. I am the only one out of our bunch to have lived anywhere else but this place. I was born in Mississippi, and moved here when I was about 7. Although this is now home, it no longer feels quite that way. You see, Mr. P. and I have a dream.
A few years ago, we had been planning a huge trip to Las Vegas, NV. It was to have been the honeymoon we didn't take 10 years ago. I'm not sure quite when or how it happened, but we fell head over heels in love with Nevada. It was everything Connecticut is not. Although our trip fell through (thanks a lot, bills), our hearts remained in the Mojave.
Recently, we made the decision to plan for a better future for our family. Mr. P. and I will both be going back to school this coming year. We also discovered that once we are better financial footing, we have the opportunity to buy a house. This is very big for us. We never dreamed home ownership and careers we enjoy would be within our grasp.
The only problem we have run into with this grand scheme of ours is where do we purchase said house. Our first instinct is to make the 2,500+ mile move to Nevada, and live the life we've been dreaming of. Sunshine, opportunity, space for the kids, and a chance at a new life. Unfortunately, the majority of our extended families live here in Connecticut, and speaking at least for my mother, would be very angry should we decide to leave the town we currently live in. I don't know a whole lot about how Mr. P.'s family would react, but there's enough drama on my side to make this move something that needs very careful consideration.
Mr. P. has said, and this is a direct quote, "fuck it". He wants very much to not die in the town he was born in, and to live our lives for ourselves. I worry about just how much our choice would effect our families. But then I think of how I doubt that we'd be truly happy if we stayed here and gave up on our dreams. I hate the snow, cold, and rain here. I'm not a huge fan of the architecture either. There is also a sense of stagnation in our town that I could really do without. I want to be an example for my kids that dreaming big can be worthwhile. I want to show them the adventure that's just waiting beyond our front door.
I'm not sure exactly what the next 2 or 3 years will bring us. No one can see the future, as much as we may want to. I just know that with Mr. P. and I working on this together, whatever we decide will be good. My heart is just searching for home, and it's on the way.

2 comments:

Gracey is not my name.... said...

Dreams are always good to have....and you have to make the decision that is right for you and the kids...and I've never been to Nevada and would come and visit...

Mrs. P. said...

Excellent! You're the first family member who said they would come visit. You have no idea how much that means to us. :-)