Monday, January 9, 2012

Homebirth matters more than you'd think.

Back in April '11, I found myself in a position to have many of my notions of homebirth in the USA challenged. I want to share what I've learned because I don't think many people understand what goes on in this seemingly underground birth movement. Before last year, I assumed all midwives were CNMs (and if the initials after their name differed, I assumed it was a state-to-state difference but same education/qualifications), and that all homebirth moms were just plain selfish. The people I knew who had a homebirth loss, or even just the ones I'd read about online, well, I could not muster up any sympathy. From where I sat, they valued their "birth experience" over the safety of their child. As for the midwives who attended these infant deaths, I just didn't see how it could be their fault. After all, they were educated and trained nurses first before becoming midwives, right? Must've been something to do with the mother, perhaps not disclosing pertinent medical information.

I never really bothered to take a look into anything having to do with homebirth because honestly, it had zero appeal to me. Being a 3x c-section mom, I couldn't wrap my brain around the desire to homebirth. A few people I knew who had had homebirths or were planning to attempt one at that time would say things like "I choose homebirth because God created us to birth, and I know we are safer at home." but within the same online conversation, would mention their "birth highs" or talk about how the experience was so important. I knew nothing about the powerful allure that comes from NCB (natural childbirth) advocates. Only later did I learn that many loss moms truly in their heart believe they were doing the best they could by their babies by having them at home.
After a fight and subsequent banning on an online moms message board, I found myself taken in by a group of ladies who fight for education and safety in birth choices. They call themselves Raptors, and I was so darn intimidated at first. I slowly learned that blaming the mother is, for the most part, one of the stupider ideas I've ever had. Did you know that when a mom-to-be tries to research homebirth midwives, she cannot access all the info about the midwife's track record/education/experience? If a midwife has had a death on her watch, it's hard to know because not only are midwives self governed after a fashion, but if your potential midwife has been in trouble, chances are that the word "death" won't be mentioned. Many midwives rely on word of mouth and previous clients' recommendations. They do not give the contact info from loss moms for that very reason. I never knew any of that. Somehow I just assumed all the information about a midwife was available at our fingertips, thanks to Mr. Google.
Did you know about the differences in the education and training level of various midwives? I didn't. Now, I'm not saying that there are not fantastic, responsible midwives out there. However, wouldn't universally required education and training minimums carry a better chance of not only ensuring a quality midwife, but also help weed out the bad apples that spoil the bunch? And wouldn't mandatory licensure help to make sure midwives are receiving continuing education in their field of expertise? My mother is an LPN (for 40 years!). Not only is she required to continually renew her license with our state if she wants to keep working, but her employer requires mandatory in-service and provides opportunities for continuing education. Don't we want that from midwives who hold our childrens' lives in their hands as well?
As you can see, homebirth matters more than many of us think it would. Women deserve choice in where and how they give birth. More than that, they deserve safety in birth. If we expect informed consent in the hospital setting, how much more should we value truly informed consent in the home setting, where help is not simply down the hall? How can we have real and honest informed consent when the information is simply not available? We cannot. That is what needs to change about homebirth in America. Even a c-section mom like me can see that.



All links taken from:
Oregon Midwife Info

Mothering Many Feet

Hurt by Homebirth

The Paparella Brood
I thank them for making this information available.

4 comments:

Two Pink Suitcases said...

I love the way you describe your process of coming to feel the way you do about midwifery. It was very similar for me. I think midwifery is a wonderful option when safety standards and accountability are part of the package.

Mrs. W. said...

Beautiful post.

Mrs. P. said...

Thanks Miriam. I felt like a royal douchebag though while confessing that. :/

LovleAnjel said...

A lot of people outside the homebirthing community think the way you do. I certainly thought all midwives had training equal to nurses, and homebirth wasn't any less safe than hospital births. Thank you for delineating some of the ways homebirth reality differs from our impression of it.